Design & Technology
Design and technology at Sandown Primary School gives children the opportunity to be creative and use their imagination to design, make and evaluate a range of products. Children are able to explore and understand the impact of design technology in daily life, as well as practising and developing their problem solving skills.
The Design and technology curriculum includes developing an understanding of cooking and the principles of nutrition, and allows children to use a variety of skills from other curriculum areas such as maths, science, computing and art in a meaningful and relevant context.
Our Design and Technology curriculum consists of five areas:
- design products that meet a particular need
- create a plan of how to bring designs to life
- use range of tools and techniques to cut, shape and join materials
- finish products with consideration for how they look
- explore and investigate how everyday products work
- evaluate finished products against initial designs
- understand and use mechanisms, electrical circuits and computing when designing and making products
- explore how to strengthen and reinforce materials
- understand the importance of a healthy and varied diet
- understand where food comes from
- develop and use a range of techniques to prepare and cook a variety of dishes
In addition to DT lessons, Sandown Primary School pupils are given the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular activities such as Cooking Club and Inventors Club.