Design & Technology
Design and Technology at Sandown Primary School provides children the opportunities to explore and understand the impact of design technology in daily life, as well as practising and developing their problem solving skills.
The Design and Technology curriculum covers structures, mechanisms, electrical circuits & components as well as cooking & nutrition. Children will use a variety of skills from other curriculum areas such as maths, science, computing and art to aid with some DT lessons.
Children will develop their skills and knowledge through the following 4 areas of DT:
- Explore and evaluate a range of existing products
- Generate a design criteria
- Generate and develop ideas through discussion, annotated sketches and other various drawing.
- Use a range of materials and components
- Use range of tools and techniques to cut, shape and join materials
- Finish products with consideration for their aesthetic qualities
- Evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
- Consider the views of others to improve their work.
For additional information about this subject, please contact the school office and ask to speak to the subject leader.
In addition to DT lessons, Sandown Primary School pupils are given the opportunity to take part in extra-curricular activities such as Dom's Food Mission 'A Helping Hand Project' and STEM club.