A good PE curriculum inspires pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically demanding activities.
We aim to:
- promote an enjoyment of physical activity
- help children to be more skilful in the ways they control their movements and develop co-ordination.
- develop positive attitudes to health, hygiene and fitness
- teach children how the body responds to activity
- contribute to children’s social and emotional development
- promote children’s confidence and self-esteem
- embed qualities such as commitment, fairness, tolerance and concern for others
- help children cope with losing and develop a sense of sportsmanship
For additional information about this subject, please contact the school office and ask to speak to the subject leader.
Sports News and Events 2019-20
Sports News and Events 2018-19
Olympic Day with Amy Smith- 1st October 2018
Sandown were thrilled to welcome Olympic superstar, Amy Smith to our school. Amy, a former Great Britain relay swimmer, lead a sponsored fitness circuit with the whole school, and concluded her morning with an inspiring talk and question and answer assembly.
The aim of the event was to inspire children to take up sport generally, but just as importantly to encourage them to discover and then pursue their passion in life.
Sandown managed to raise an astounding £5443.41 which will help support Great Britain athletes compete for our country and go towards new sports equipment for our children at Sandown. Well done everybody!
Sport News and Events 2017-18
Cluster Sports Hall Athletics 2018
Year 5 and 6 Sandown were invited to the indoor athletics cluster event held at Hastings Academy. Only 6 boys and 6 girls were allowed to take part and after a careful and difficult selection process, coaches Mr Davies and Miss Smith were proud to lead a triumphant team.
Children took part in one or two of the 4 track events consisting of: 1 + 1 relay, 2 + 2 relay, 6 lap parlauf and a 4 x 1 relay.
Children also took part in one of the 3 field events consisting of: speed bounce, standing long jump and chest push.
The results confirmed that Sandown were the overall winners!
The children have now qualified for the local school finals this week! A huge congratulations to all involved!
At the event we were also privileged to receive the Gold Award for competitive sport engagement for 2016 - 2017. You can see the photo of the children receiving it and winning the trophy.
Well done Sandown!