Meet Sandown School's Governing Body
Welcome to the section of the website where you can find out more about the school’s governors, and the work that we do.
Our commitment:- We are committed to ensuring that all at Sandown reach its aspiration of being: ‘The best that we can be’
Our main role:- We act as a ‘critical friend’ to the headteacher, and the staff, through support and positive challenge as they work to improve the school and achieve high standards and excellence across every aspect of school life.
Our main duties include:-
- ensuring clarity of the school’s vision and ethos;
- ensuring the school meets its statutory obligations and duties;
- setting strategic direction for school through oversight of school self-evaluation and associated improvement planning targets;
- approving the school’s budget and making sure its money is well spent by overseeing its financial performance;
- monitoring and reviewing progress against the school's budget and targets;
- appointing, and holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance standards of the school and its pupils.
Our organisation and working structure:-
- Our Governing Body operates through a ‘circle’ structure which we believe is a more dynamic, efficient and effective way of working. Circle governance means that we meet and work as a whole governing body ten times across the school year.
- Governing Body meetings are usually held at school in the late afternoon and last approximately two hours. We attend training sessions and seminars to help us keep up to date with changes in schools and education and to help us do our job effectively.
- Individual governors are linked to particular areas of school life and regularly visit the school and liaise with staff and meet with pupils to help us find out how the school is progressing towards its targets. We may set up committees or working groups to look at particular issues or aspects of school life; such as pay, staff appraisal, buildings development.
- There are several categories of governor, appointed by different groups that have an interest in the school. These are Co-opted governors, the Local Authority (“LA”), Parents, and Staff. All governors have equal status, however they are appointed.
If you wish to know more, or are interested in becoming a governor, please contact the Clerk to the Governors via the link below.
Safeguarding Governor and Acting Chair of the governing board
Clerk to the Governors
To contact the governing body please address any correspondence to:
Sandown Primary School