Children thrive when they are in a secure, caring and stimulating environment and here at Sandown, children are challenged to reach their potential through a well-planned and inspiring curriculum, designed to meet the needs of all pupils to ensure they have a quality education.
Our mastery approach to the curriculum ensures literacy, including maths literacy, is at its heart. This is continually emphasised through:
- Expressive language
- Models and images
- Reasoning skills
- Problem solving
- Appropriate vocabulary
- Clear presentation in speech and writing
- A breadth of reading
Specifically, the curriculum is designed to:
- Embody the Community Commitment
- Be filled with rich, purposeful experiences
- Raise awareness of significant current events and have an eye on the future, as well as the needs of future citizens
- Go beyond the classroom to embrace our outdoor learning spaces
- Involve real people with first hand experiences
- Strengthen partnerships locally, nationally and internationally
At Sandown, the curriculum remains a work in progress and is subject to constant development. This empowers subject leaders to enthuse the community in their curriculum areas.
As a maintained school, we use the following documents:
- The Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework as well as Development Matters in the Foundation Stage
- The National Curriculum in England for Key Stages One and Two
- The East Sussex agreed syllabus for Religious Education (RE) and Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE)
Learn more about each subject below. For additional information about a subject, please contact the school office and ask to speak to the subject leader.